Architect Richard D. King designed the building for A.C. Blumenthal. It opened in 1926 as Chotiner’s La Brea. Fox Theatres was a later lessee, calling it the Fox La Brea. The La Brea closed around 1955.
In 1960 Robert Kronerberg of Manhattan Films and Dan Sonney of Sonney Amusement Enterprises rescued the boarded up theatre and did a full remodel including redecorating, new screen and drapes, new seats and new booth gear. They called it the Art La Brea and reopened with Ingmar Bergman’s “Brink of Life.”In the late 60s it became the Toho La Brea Theatre, running Japanese films. The Toho management lasted at least until 1974. It is now a Korean church – see following photos. (USC Digital Library)